Has this ever happened to you? You send an email to someone and never get a response. Don’t take it personally - most of us receive a ton of emails on a daily basis!
Here are 5 tips to improve the chances that your emails will get read and responded to.
1. Always include the subject in the subject line to alert the recipient to the content of the message. Emails without subjects are likely to be passed over or deleted.
2. Change the subject in the subject line if after multiple replies the subject has changed - otherwise recipients will likely pass over it thinking it’s something they already read.
3. Keep your emails brief. Few of us have the time to read an email novel and will skip over those that are too lengthy. “Attach” additional information as necessary.
4. Be clear about what you want the recipient to do. Let them know if the email is for information only or if you want them to take some sort of action.
5. Flag your email as “priority” only when it is. If you flag every email as priority your recipients won’t know when it truly is and wont be as likely to respond. Think “Boy Who Cried Wolf Scenario”.
By following these tips you’ll greatly improve the chances that your emails won’t end up in the trash before they’re even read!